"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Thank You, Indiana


Well.

THAT was a surprise!

The Caleb B. Smith Medal of Honor is considered the highest award the Grand Lodge of Indiana can bestow. It was established in 1963, and has been given to a huge variety of impressive Freemasons over the years - as varied as J. Edgar Hoover, Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, Indianapolis Mayor William Hudnut, Dwight L. Smith, Red Skelton, CNN’s David Goodnow, many Past Grand Masters, and more.


The medal's namesake, Caleb Blood Smith, was a journalist, Indiana Speaker of the House, and a member of Abraham Lincoln's cabinet during the Civil War. One of the most eloquent orators of his day and known for his stentorian voice, he also served as Indiana's Grand Master in 1837, as the state's fraternity was endangered by the ongoing Morgan anti-Masonic fervor. He was credited with helping to sustain Freemasonry in the Hoosier state during this dark period.

So I was truly blindsided tonight when Grand Master Rodney A Mann called me to the dais along with Richard Hickam, our senior-most Past Grand Master (1970-71) who proceeded to pin this year’s medal on me.


When I turned to look behind me, I was surrounded by an impressive group of eminent brethren who have been previously so honored, all grinning like Cheshire cats.



To be awarded this medal tonight and in such a surprising way, surrounded by Masons and friends I have admired throughout my fraternal life, is one of the greatest moments I’ve had the privilege to experience. 


My heartfelt thanks to Rodney and to the members of the awards committee. I will strive to to live up to their confidence and to continue to do all I can to serve Indiana’s brethren each and every day.


5 comments:

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.